Thursday, August 15, 2013

Frankie has arrived!!!

I'd like to start by apologizing if this gets a bit lengthy. As is expected with new found parenthood, sleep deprivation has become the new normal. 

On Saturday, August 10th, 2013, Amanda and I woke up like any other day. We had many errands to run and things to do around the house. At 7:05 AM, Amanda started to have small, consistent contractions and those plans went out the window. Amanda was a stickler to at least keep our first plan in tact; go to Fat Nat's for some delicious breakfast. 

Throughout the morning, we battled back and forth with the thoughts that it was either false labor, simple movements, or full on labor. As we moved on through the day it became apparent that the little guy we were so anxiously waiting to meet would be joining us this weekend. The contractions became more and more intense through the day, but they remained manageable as we tried to "walk the baby out". We called the doctor to tell her of Amanda's progress and updated our "playbook" for the remainder of our labor. At about 5:30 PM, the contractions became much stronger and I could tell pain was starting to get to her. Still, she kept soldiering on and walked around our basement to help it progress. At that time, we made a goal to last until 6:15 PM and then we would gather up our already packed bags and head to the hospital. At 6:00, Amanda's parents, Dan and Deb Herrmann, made it up from Marshall, MN, and we updated them on our game plan. We got out of the house and on the way to the hospital by 6:25 PM. On the way to the hospital, while Amanda battled contractions while I battled her urge to shift our car into neutral when she clamped down on my hand towards the gear-shifter. Amanda's water broke about half a mile from the hospital. 

Once we reached the hospital, I sprinted in to grab a wheelchair and an ER nurse who was nice enough to wheel Amanda upstairs to the baby doctors on the 2nd floor. Once upstairs, we were admitted into a delivery room at 6:40 and we found out she was already at a 10! That is when things started to get a bit more interesting. We met the doctor who would be delivering our baby due to our doctor not making it to the hospital yet. Amanda's pain quickly began to increase. She went from "I would really appreciate something to help with the pain" to "IT HURTS!!!" and then to "I WANT TO PUSH" in the matter of minutes. 8 minutes of pushing later, and we were two proud parents of a beautiful baby boy! Francis Baldwin Singer was born at 7:02 PM on 8/10/2013. He weighed in at a trim fighting weight of 8 lbs and 3 oz. while measuring at 20 1/2 inches.

First picture as a family!

Proud Mom cuddling up her bundle of joy.
Dad practicing his football hold for the upcoming Packers season.

He quickly found it was a suitable place to nap.

Frankie was not a fan of car seat at first.

Grandma Deb very excited to hold her new grandchild. 

Grandpa Dan gets in on the action loving up his new grandson.

Grandma Nancy gets her fill while Kirby supervises. 

Grandpa Jim (aka the 3rd Francis Singer)
Great Grandma Singer giddy to meet the little guy.

Date night 10 minutes in.
Date night began.

1 comment:

  1. What an incredible story! Just imagine, a weekday with traffic and he may have been born in the car!
    Amanda you are a rockstar! Great job woman!

    PS and you've had a date night! Impressed :) Best parents award!